- Demonstrate and direct the store team to provide outstanding customer service in an environment focused on sales
- Train, develop, counsel, mentor and motivate all employees in a manner which builds and sustains a high performing team and minimizes turnover
- Maximize productivity and efficiency through accurate and timely scheduling following all work rules, laws and regulations.
- Set and achieve the highest standards in retail execution focusing on maximizing sales and gross profit
- Understand and manage the finances of the store
- Utilize reports and metrics to make sound business decisions
- Forecast and maintain store staff by collaborating with Talent Acquisition and Training in the sourcing, selecting, orienting, and on-boarding employees
- Maintain the cleanliness of the store through utilizing programs, assigning tasks and following up on the store cleaning schedule
- Establish and maintain a positive work environment, which encourages an exceptionally high level of the store morale. Focusing the employees on creating an environment built on team work and inspiring a “one team” mentality
- Follow all company guidelines and procedures, to include but not limited to, integrity, safety and sanitation
- Demonstrate advanced product knowledge; maintain awareness of new products, programs and procedures, and educate employees and customers on products through sampling
- All other duties as assigned
Business Knowledge and Critical Skills:
- Operates with a strategic mindset
- Able to articulately and effectively present information and respond to questions from managers and customers effectively
- Ability to understand and interpret moderately complex financial reports
- Has broad knowledge and perspective of retail landscape
- Can inspire and motivate associates, managers and entire teams
- Demonstrated ability to train, coach, mentor, and develop Assistant Store Managers and Department Managers by quickly identifying skill gaps and development action plans in order to ensure their ability to rapidly advance and gain knowledge of The Fresh Market
- Demonstrated ability to work with computers and computer based programs, to include but not limited to, ordering, sign creation, scheduling, forecasting, budgeting, business analysis, inventory and email communication
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize store operations through the use of delegation skills
- Demonstrated level of empowerment to solve customer complaints and develop employees to do the same
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field preferred
- 3 to 5 years’ experience as a specialty retail store manager in relevant traffic, volume and unit intensity. Perishable experience preferred.
- Sound business acumen and principles; including retail sales and financial responsibility
Physical Capabilities / Job Demands
Continuously (67%-100% of the work shift)
- Carry 0-10 lbs.
- Repetitive use of hands
Frequently (34%-66% of the work shift)
- Lift 0-10 lbs.
- Bend and Reach
Occasionally (Up to 33% of the work shift)
- Lift 11- 50+ lbs.
- Carry 11-20 lbs.
- Push and Pull
- Squat, Climb and Balance
- Physically present at the workplace/store and in strict adherence to the Company’s attendance and punctuality requirements
- The ability, open availability, and willingness to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the store are required, including, but not limited to, weekend, day, evening, and overnight and holiday work, as needed to meet the demands of the store
- Exposure to extreme temperatures (coolers, ovens, freezer, outdoors, etc.)
At The Fresh Market we provide a fair and equal employment opportunity for all employees and candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. The Fresh Market hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the position to be filled. The position covered by this is expressly declared to be 'at will,' meaning the Company has the right to terminate the incumbent's employment at any time, with or without cause. Any written or oral promises or representations to the contrary are expressly disavowed and should not be relied upon by any employee. Any change to this 'at will' employment status must be in writing and signed by the company designated personnel.